After 23 years of flying club gliders, I finally got a chance to fly my very own glider! While the weather was smooth as glass, I felt the potential of what this Discus b can offer during the spring. For those interested in buying their own glider, here’s a list of things I had to take care of to make the purchase official:
- Sign a bill of sale. This form is available for download from the FAA’s web site. A copy of the form needs to be submitted with the aircraft registration form.
- Fill out the FAA aircraft registration form (AC Form 8050-1) and mail it in. You keep the pink copy as a temporary registration. This form is not available online but can be picked up at your local FSDO. You can also call them and they’ll mail you a copy.
- Pay state use tax. WA residents can pay online.
- Register the aircraft with the state. WA requires proof of use tax payment.
- Register the trailer with the DMV and pay use tax on the trailer.